Introduction

This is for all you excel lovers. I am starting this blog to help thousands of people who wish to know excel indepth. I always faced this challenge when I started excel reporting 7 years back. Today I head the MIS Reporting Team for a Multinational company. All this in 7 yrs. Imagine I did not know anything of excel 7 yrs back .....Its been a long journey....I want to share my learnings with everyone.Also I want to help others to learn excel and help them excel in life.This blog is aplatform for us to meet and help each other

Sunday, December 28, 2008

How to write SUM formula

This is one of the most simple excel formula
SUM - used to add numbers
SYNTAX: =SUM(NUMBER1,NUMBER2,.................NUMBERn)
Each number can be specified in cells and in the systax number1 = cell
eg: = sum(A2,B3,D1) will add the numbers in these cells
You can also use combination of numbers annd cells
eg: =SUM(8,C3) will add the number in cell C3 to 8
You can also specify ranges in this formula
eg: =SUM(A6:I6) will add numbers in cells A6,B6,C6,D6,E6,F6,G6 and I6
Now you can use a combination of all above
eg: =SUM(E4:E9,C3,8,H3:I5,2,7)
Here we have added 2 ranges, one cell and 3 numbers.
Such a simple formula with so many combinations possibel makes SUM formula very useful in excel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello vinod.

We are in a network on SiliconIndia. This information about sum is going to be of great help. I really appreciate the work done at your end.

Coz I know to put up this effort, it takes out of your personal time.

Once again appreciate your effort and time.

I look forward to you next bolg.

Ketan